Tuesday, November 4, 2008

*Courage doesn't always roar...*

I would like to open todays post with a video. It is for those of us who have never experienced the pain of an eating disorder. Pay attention, it gives insight into how many eating disorder sufferers feel and how they would like us to help them...

I was reading over my blog earlier today and I noticed that a majority of my posts seem to have assumed the attack position, and that is not my intention. My goal for this blog is to spread a positive message to those who are submitting themselves to the mental, physical and emotional torture that exists on pro-ana websites. This is just a gentle reminder that this blog is meant as a place for family and friends of eds and for eds themselves to come seek encouragement, support, and inspiration.

I took on this mission with a goal of creating a safe haven for those who want to recover as well as a place for their family and friends to seek and provide support as well. When someone you love is affected by this disease, it is very easy to swallow the blame for it. That’s how I felt. I watched as someone I love slowly hurt herself, and I said nothing. I know how it feels to feel guilt and responsibility for the disease progressing. It is important to remember, though, that it is not your fault. It is absolutely out of our power as an outsider to stop the disease from instilling itself within our loved one. Because anorexia and bulimia are psychological diseases, they cannot be halted with words of support or love anymore than could depression or bi-polar disorder. And trust me I wish that they could be, so much it hurts.

The most we can do at this time is to keep a watchful eye and an open mind and heart. It is near impossible for us to understand the pain and sadness that our loved ones are going through during this battle. Condemning them for their disease is not going to help. Babying them is not going to help. What is going to help is a true safe haven, a place where they can go for encouragement and necessary support when they are ready. Pro-ana sites are the enemy as they lure in mentally sick individuals seeking an escape. That escape should not exist. They must face their disease and we, as their family and friends, need to make sure they are facing it the right way. Not by identifying with or relating to others who are continuing their diseases, but by emoting with one another on the path to recovery rather than relapse.

And I’d like to close this post with a video I found, and I dedicate it to all those suffering from an eating disorder. Please remember that this is a place for you to seek encouragement and support. Pay close attention to the video and maybe even write down some of the quotes that you think may help you along the way.

No comments: